14 February 2020 – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: The Draft Cairo Declaration on Viral Hepatitis has been endorsed for implementation by Heads of State and Government of the African Union Member…
African Leadership Meeting (ALM) Declaration
Prioritising Health Financing in Africa
accounts for 26% of the world’s disease burden
receives just 1% of global health spending
As a result, 11 million Africans are falling into poverty every year due to high out-of-pocket health spending.
In February 2019, African Heads of States and Government endorsed the Africa Leadership Meeting – Investing in Health (ALM) Declaration to spur increase in domestic investments in health and a reorientation of Africa’s health systems and health spending in Africa.
To ensure the progressive and effective implementation of the Declaration, the African Union Commission is spearheading establishment of:
- Regional health financing hubs to support country efforts reorient health systems and public & donor spending to increase impact;
- Domestic health financing tracker that will enable AU Member States to track step-by-step progress of resource allocation and key reforms towards increased domestic financing;
- Digitization of the Africa Scorecard on Domestic Financing for Health and the Tracker to avail data widely, monitor health financing and improve learning and accountability;
- An Accountability Framework defining roles and responsibilities of different stakeholders to enhance collaborative implementation to fast track the outcome of the Africa Leadership Meeting-Investing in Health;
- ALM-Technical Working Group to encourage diverse solutions from a vast pool of technical experts across both public and private sectors to make sure no health financing dimension is left uncovered.
- Biennial consultative meeting with Ministers of Health and Finance to enhance collaboration for increased domestic resources for health and improved health expenditure efficiency.