Press Release Heads of States and Government from African Union Member States Endorse the Cairo Declaration on Viral Hepatitis. 14 February 2020 – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: The Draft Cairo Declaration…
African Leadership Meeting (ALM) Declaration
Prioritising Health Financing in Africa
accounts for 26% of the world’s disease burden
receives just 1% of global health spending
As a result, 11 million Africans are falling into poverty every year due to high out-of-pocket health spending.
In February 2019, African Heads of States and Government endorsed the Africa Leadership Meeting – Investing in Health (ALM) Declaration to spur increase in domestic investments in health and a reorientation of Africa’s health systems and health spending in Africa.
To ensure the progressive and effective implementation of the Declaration, the African Union Commission is spearheading establishment of:
- Regional health financing hubs to support country efforts reorient health systems and public & donor spending to increase impact;
- Domestic health financing tracker that will enable AU Member States to track step-by-step progress of resource allocation and key reforms towards increased domestic financing;
- Digitization of the Africa Scorecard on Domestic Financing for Health and the Tracker to avail data widely, monitor health financing and improve learning and accountability;
- An Accountability Framework defining roles and responsibilities of different stakeholders to enhance collaborative implementation to fast track the outcome of the Africa Leadership Meeting-Investing in Health;
- ALM-Technical Working Group to encourage diverse solutions from a vast pool of technical experts across both public and private sectors to make sure no health financing dimension is left uncovered.
- Biennial consultative meeting with Ministers of Health and Finance to enhance collaboration for increased domestic resources for health and improved health expenditure efficiency.